Wednesday, May 20, 2015

No Room in the Inn

The weather this morning did not encourage an early start to Stavronikita. 



So I enjoyed another quiet morning. The skies cleared earlier than forecast, and I enjoyed a beautiful walk along the coast to Stavronikita, which is located here:




And looks like this:




When I arrived, however, they told me there was no room in the inn. I enjoyed a little rest and venerating the icons in the church dedicated to St. Nicholas, and then back on the trail for the 50 minute hike to Pantocrator, which is a little further up the coast:



And looks like this:



And here is a look back, whence I have come (with the Holy Mountain in the distance):



Pantocrator has taken me in, I'm happy to say, and I'm working on relaxing in preparation for the festal services for the Feast of the Ascension. The schedule:

  • 6:30 - 7pm. Small Vespers
  • 7 Dinner
  • 8:30pm - 2:30am Vigil (Vespers, Matins, 1st hour)
  • 7:30 - 9:30am (Thursday). Divine Liturgy

It will be good to expend a little effort to reflect on and experience the ascension of Christ, truly God and truly man, to bring our human nature to the right hand of the Father. 

I'm thankful to be on the Holy Mountain for a Great Feast.